How to Meditate
In this form of meditation, you concentrate on the words of an inspirational text or passage from one of the great wisdom traditions. Eknath Easwaran developed this method, and the instructions are straightforward.
You start by choosing an inspirational passage and memorizing it. The passage for meditation should be positive, practical and uplifting, and there are lots of passages you can choose from. Some are short, others longer, and they’re from all different traditions.
Once you’re ready with your passage, then
- Sit in a chair, or on a cushion on the floor.
- Sit upright and close your eyes.
- Go through the words of your memorized passage slowly and silently in the mind.
- Do your best to concentrate on the passage – when distractions come, just bring your mind back to the words.
- At the end of the passage, go back to the beginning, or start a new one.
- Do this for 30 minutes every morning.
In our 10-minute online workshop, you can try passage meditation for five minutes without memorizing a passage first, so you can get a taste of the benefits. If you're new to meditation, we invite you to try this workshop!