Here you’ll find everything you need to try meditation for yourself and start your own practice.
Instructions in Meditation
In passage meditation, you concentrate on the words of an inspirational text or passage from one of the great wisdom traditions.
You start by choosing an inspirational passage and memorizing it. The passage should be positive, practical and uplifting, and there are lots of passages you can choose from. Some are short, others longer, and they’re from all different traditions.
Once you’re ready with your passage, then
- Sit in a chair, or on a cushion on the floor.
- Sit upright and close your eyes.
- Go through the words of your memorized passage slowly and silently in the mind.
- Do your best to concentrate on the passage – when distractions come, just bring your mind back to the words.
- At the end of the passage, go back to the beginning, or start a new one.
- Do this for 30 minutes every morning.
In our online workshop, you can try passage meditation for five minutes without memorizing a passage first, so you can get a taste of the benefits.
If you’d like more detailed instructions and inspiration, read the first chapter of Easwaran’s book, Passage Meditation. Easwaran covers all the aspects of meditation here, from choosing a passage and dealing with distractions to renewing our commitment and keeping our practice fresh every day.